Sunday, August 3, 2014

In 1968, Gloria Guinness

In 1968, Gloria Guinness had given up wearing coats.  She gave up wearing coats because she had discovered in a shop, in Palm Beach called La Palapa, (does anyone remember this store?  If you do, I would love to hear from you!) the ruana.  

What is a ruana you might wonder or at least I wondered.  It is basically a sort of a blanket coat - a long strip slit almost to the center.  And I thought, wait a minute, let me just check the Chloe Pre-Fall 2014 collection and there it was!  A Gloria Guinness worthy ruana in a bright cornflower blue.


There is also one in a cream with a faded charcoal stripe - which is the one I think I will get...


When Hubert de Givenchy saw La Guinness wearing her Palm Beach ruanas, he had his Paris workroom copy the shape.

"I plan to go on dressing by my own ideas.  I have always known what I ought to wear."
Gloria Guinness


Love, kisses and let's do what G.G. does, Juliana

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails